Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tuddabujja


Tuddabujja is a half-way for Street Children, by Retrak Uganda. During my visit there today, I enjoyed the time with the boys, aunties, uncles and the location out in the village where they are. As I was talking with one of the aunties about the resettling of some of the boys today here is the story she told me.
‘Two brothers have been taken back to Western Uganda to be resettled with their mother, after their sister left and their father died. The boys had left home, each making their way to Kampala in search of a better life only to be faced with poverty, hardship and mere survival. Each brother made his way to Retracks boys home in Kampala and after a period of time there, was brought to Tuddabujja, the half-way home to have some schooling, and learn agriculture, be in a family setting and learn about responsibilities around a home.
Today they are on their way back to live with their mother. When I called her and asked if she was at the Stone Quarry, where she works breaking big stones into small stones with a hammer all day long, she said yes, than I asked her if it was far from home and she said yes. I told her she needed to be going home as she was getting visitors. She became excited asking who the visitors are; and I told her that her two sons were coming home! She became so excited and everyone at the quarry also became excited! She asked if her sons really were alive. I told her yes, they are coming home to visit you! So she made plans to leave the Quarry to go home and meet her two prodigal sons, after years of them being away and her being all alone!
Now, that’s just one of so many heart-wrenching stories of resettlement from the street children. That’s a happy story, where not all of them end this way. 

Please remember all those children out there on the streets as today is International Street Children Awareness Day. 

Sorry,  I don't have any photo's my camera is broken :(

No comments:

Post a Comment