Friday, August 3, 2012

“A ‘Third World Country’"


As I go about my housewife duties today, I’m struck by the richness and blessedness of Uganda. It’s hard for me to think like I first did when I arrived here 3 years ago, eyes agape at the red soil, absurdity of living so to speak and the fact that I was here for 10 months!
Now, 3 years later, married to a Ugandan, the most wonderful man I’ve ever met, Uganda has become my home, though I struggle to NOT compare each and everything I come across! Whether it’s the price of a box of cereal in the supermarket (which by the way is so outrageously priced, I don’t eat cereal and Trophi doesn’t even like it!). But also the cost of fresh fruit. Rarely do I think of it as ‘Tropical Fruit’ as you people in North America would categorize it. It’s simply fruit here, like apples, peaches, and berries are to you there!
Today though, as I cut up some apples (yes, I admit they are costly but we treat ourselves once in a while to them!), a fresh pineapple at it’s perfect ripeness, knowing fresh mangoes, oranges, tangerines and passion fruit are in the fridge…it struck me how rich we really are here in Uganda. How rich the culture is, the people, a country with over 100 districts and over 50 languages, each language having its own culture. Uganda without all of us ex-patriots here is so diverse on its own, it’s phenomenal! It is a country so rich in agriculture, no man should be going hungry on any day.
Yet, we are classified as a ‘Third World Country’…I often wonder; why is it the rest of the world wishes for us to remain poverty stricken? They seem to think we NEED HELP, but the reality is we DON’T NEED HELP, we need dedicated people, genuine in their mission to come and assist development, not come in with new ideas of changing how cultures should be or any of that, but come in, empower the people to do what they do best; care for their communities. Not come in, build an orphanage and think they’ve “Saved Africa”.
I suppose our insanely corrupt government adds to the bizarreness of it all, where it’s a common occurrence to see on the news or in the newspaper how many MP’s are currently being investigated for stealing millions of dollars of aid money for this that and the next thing. I suppose if our government really had the peoples best interests at heart, we’d be just as developed as Nairobi….yet were not even close.  
Yes, as I dwell on the richness of our country, in so many aspects, lay aside the corruption as we all are fools,( just some a little more cunning than others), having such abundance of food in a country that is ‘Third World’…doesn’t that somehow clash when you think about it?
Trophi and I are almost daily reminded at how God’s provision is so miraculous, how we keep going in a country where 2/3 of the population truly prays, “Lord, give us THIS DAY, our daily bread.” The times God has bestowed miracles upon us is humbling. Daily we see God’s hand at work in providing for our daily needs, our neighbors, our ministry needs, our work provision, our friends, our church… God is so alive and at work in Uganda, do rejoice with us in this rich, rich, rich country where we call ‘Home.’ A country where God is daily showing us who He is and just how powerful, caring and loving He is… it’s truly humbling. Then, it doesn’t matter what level of development our country is at, so long as God is at the heart of each person! We are not a ‘Third World Country’, we are a country that see’s Jesus at work and we look forward to His return for us one day to take us to Glory! 

Psalm 62:5-8

My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory;
The rock of my strength,
And my refuge, is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment