Today was my last day of teaching/homeschooling 4 precious girls; Grace, Prossy, Esther & Eron. Over the last 2 months i've had a really special time helping them with thier school work, pushing their limits in how much tehy can accomplish and seeing them succeed, regardless of the workload! These girls have truly been amazing! The two oldest; Grace-11 and Prossy-10, finished their grades in the 2 months we had together and i'm so proud of them for their ambition, endurance and pleasant attitudes!! Esther-9 and Eron-8 are nearly finished their work and after encouraging them in how they can finish their work they were so cheerful...what kids are like that? Seriously, I think these are like a 1 in a million...amazing!!
As I ran out on them early for my last Dr. Appt in town before heading to Canada next week, I was stuck in traffic...nearly an hour later and almost late for my appointment, I rushed into the clinic only to have to wait another 40 minutes; how typical! Traffic was crazy, it was about to rain, and everyone was in such a rush before the rains came, otherwise we'd all be stuck!
Once at the Dr, we spent only a few minutes with him and we were on our way home...well, for lunch along the way! Chips and Liver; one of my favourites out here was lunch. Now, i know liver is sounding really sketchy to most of you, but trust me, i've never had better liver in my life than here in Uganda..somehow they truly know how to cook it and make it taste, oh so yummy!!
Homeward bound once again, we reached in the rain, only to be greeted by our power going out-yet again! It seems we are daily experiencing power outages from as little as a few minutes to days at a time...
To sum up today: This Is Africa (TIA)
When I'm in Canada I'll easily forget about some of the things that we hassle with on nearly a daily basis; heating water to bathe, hassling with public transport~ in the rain and mud, trying to keep time only to be reminded that time isn't an issue here! Tasty local food, well, ok, i'll consider the liver local food (though I do really enjoy the local local food~ Troph had some for lunch and as i was waiting for mine, I helped him with his!) And finally power outages. In Canada, most people would be panicking after power is out for just a few hours; here, a few hours is doing good. You learn quickly to have excess water frozen in the freezer for times when power is out for3 days or so...such is life.
But for now, I'll remember what we have here, endure it and just carry on with life, because that is life!
I will certainly be counting my blessings in Canada soon though, when all those things will be made easy; running hot water, not moving and hassling with public transport, power outages disturbing work for days on end...
Have a lovely day friends and wherever you are...count your blessings, we truly are blessed. It could be worse!
No comments:
Post a Comment