It certainly was eventful! Gabriel enjoyed seeing all the animals and the rain held off for the most part, which too, was lovely, so the hot African sun wasn't beating down on us mercilessly!
After checking out all the animals, we sat down for a bit and munched on some snacks we'd packed along. Mom & Dad went back to see the giraffe's as they'd been in for a feeding, so I was sitting at the table, Gabriel sleeping in my arms and Trophimus had gone into the restaurant to order fried fish for lunch... an all-time favourite of ours!
While he was gone, the wild monkeys took advantage of me being alone with snacks on the table.
That morning, as I'd gone for a walk with mom to the supermarket to get some snacks, I got some peanuts for Trophimus, shelled one's mind you, as he's not so keen on rubbing the husks off. Those peanuts were on the table, where he had been seated and can you imagine, those thieving monkeys jumped on the table, swiped them peanuts and were gone with them in not more than 5 seconds.
My first reaction was 'yikes, the monkeys are here and I'm defenseless!' The second was, this is scary, I'm holding a sleeping baby...than GRRRR They stole Trophimus' peanuts. Those rascals! They went and sat under a tree, tore open the sack and enjoyed them, while I sat at the table, trying to quickly put the other stuff away, while holding Gabriel, giving them very unfriendly glances, hoping they wouldn't again take advantage of me!
Trophimus came back just to see them running off with his peanuts. Sorry for him :(
Than we decided to move our things IN the restaurant, well, that wasn't much better.
They kept coming towards our table, and they are brave monkeys. Very bold too. They aren't afraid of women, so as I tried to scare them, they weren't scaring, instead their boldness was scaring me!
Eventually the restaurant people came out with a broom to scare them away. There were SO many of them, and they were in the trees everywhere. You'd scare a mama carrying her baby and more would come!!!
Finally our fish came, nicely fried and smelling all yummy!
We ate it, savouring every bite, meanwhile mindful of monkeys eyeing it up, wanting to come and swipe it away.
All said and done, we headed out (Oooh yes, after Mom & Dad went for a camel ride!)
That night was an awful night, my stomach wasn't well, and for the next 3 days following, I was paying for eating that fish. Oh boy. Food poisoning 101.
As we thought back, with all the monkeys at the Zoo, and the restaurant staff being fairly relaxed about them around...ordering fried fish WASN'T the best idea.
Thankfully my stomach is nearly back to normal and I'm feeling better again!
Thieving Monkeys!
'Riding on a camel...'
No comments:
Post a Comment