Saturday, October 18, 2014

Baby Jordan

Last night as Trophimus was heading out to do sound for a gig, he make a quick call to me...
news we were waiting on, that our friends Phila & Esther's firstborn had arrived!
Baby Jordan Mishall Kaweesa arrived via C-section after a very long, hard labour and
weighed just a tiny 3kgs!
I was SO excited!
As you can imagine, first thing this morning I prepared to head on out to Kisubi Hospital, for a baby visit...yes to visit Esther too, but certainly to get in some newborn snuggles :)
Thankfully Esther was in a private room; what a blessing. Uganda's local government hospitals are brutal. Brutal doesn't cut it. Really really brutal.
The fact that Esther had a private room was pretty exciting for me too!
Upon arriving, I noticed Jordan was dressed in a onesie, wrapped in a receiving blanket and swaddled in a thick warm winter blanket...the poor babe was roasting. He was none to happy about it and after washing up, I took him from Esther and unwrapped him, laying him on the bed to just look around. He was content. I shared with Esther how Westerners don't wrap their babies too much, though it's an African thing. I knew that at any moment a nurse could come through the door and tell me off that the babe was too cold...I was ok with that, he was happy! (Thanks Beverly for the dear little hat! It's too big for his tiny head, but he'll grow into it fast enough!)
Esther's bed wasn't a lovely bed like I had after giving birth to Gabriel. It was an easily constructed metal frame with a thin 3inch foam mattress. Hard. Really hard. With no fancy gadgets to elevate her head or her feet. That would be a dream.
As we visited, I noticed Jordan didn't have a bassinet to sleep in, he had slept on the bed with Rachel. It was about time to bathe Jordan...but Rachel first had to run out to buy a basin, as the hospital didn't have baby bathtubs to use. There was no soap, we had to run to the canteen to buy a bar. There was no water, Rachel had to first haul a jerry can of hot water, of which I was able to first wash out the new basin, and than begin cooling some water for bathing.
Esther needed to bring everything imaginable along; from bedsheets to give birth on and scissors for the surgeon, to rubber gloves for the nurse and to tie the umbilical cord to drinks and food to sustain herself. No diapers, wipes, Vaseline or baby necessities were provided. You want diapers on your baby...bring them too.

I was so humbled.

Gabriel was born in a beautiful hospital, I was in comfort beyond what I could have imagined, with the most amazing nurses. All I had to do was come with me, and a diaper bag with immediate necessities for the babe and myself.
I didn't have to carry bedsheets, gloves, food or anything.
I was deeply saddened, how she didn't know what a nursing bra was, when giving her some things that she'd need. There was no one there to help educate her on how Jordan needed to latch on or that her milk wouldn't come in instantly. Those are just a few things.
Life in Africa is hard. Really hard.

Life in the West is pretty amazing in comparison.
Not only do the nurses treat you like a queen, they make sure you are fed, catered to, resting, they help care for your babe, and give you all the tips you'd never think of asking for.

I'm so thankful Esther's mom is here to stay with her for the next few weeks, I hope that she'll be able to help her out as well. And though they don't live near, I'll be making regular trips there to help her out and see what we can do to help.

It's such a blessing that we were able to bring extra luggage back from Canada, of which a huge amount was baby things...Esther is needing a good dose of love, for both her and the babe and thanks to everyone who contributed in various ways, from free baby formula (though she's just going to nurse), to toys, clothes, shoes, blankets and cloth diapers...they'll be recipients and have already been thanking the Lord for all of you who've somehow contributed to the things we were able to help them out with. 




No comments:

Post a Comment