Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where is the nearest Mc Donalds or Starbucks Coffee?

So, as I am in Kerrville, Texas with a group of about 25 other missionaries from all over the world; Asia, Europe, North America, Central Asia, Africa and South America, we have had the most amazing experiences sharing with eachother what God is doing in our lives! It's been such an amazing time, I have not the words to describe how I needed to be here with these people! Our God indeed is such an awesome and amazing God!
From meeting a couple also here in Texas, serving in Greece, originally from Chilliwack BC, Canada...thats a long way north of here...both of us both out here...to meeting another couple that just met my friends Nico and Lia Kattenberg in Guatemala! What a small world when we get out there, meet new people and invest in eachothers lives!
I am rooming with a bunch of Spanish fluent's and so as you can imagine, alot of our conversations are around the language; Heather serving in Central Mexico, currently in language training; learning Spanish. Amy serving in Costa Rica, fluent in Spanish, Erin heading to Haiti, having previously been to Costa Rica and Guatemala, also knowing Spanish, and than me, having spent a short time working with Mexicans at the greenhouse and learning a course on the basics of communicating! Yes, I admit, we have alot of great conversations, it's pretty neat!
As we were chatting, something we do best, especially now, with each of us our own unique testimonies on how we came to Christ, and than how He drew us into missions and now us all posted in different countries throughout the World, yet all playing a large part in fulfilling the Great Commission to go out into all the world, proclaiming the gospel. Are we directly proclaiming the gospel; no, not always, as opportunity arises and as God puts it on our hearts, yes, and otherwise in our work, living it out, learning from the people, becoming like them, not trying to teach them to become like us, listening to them and allowing them to learn who we are and trust us, building friendships with them and when they finally feel comfortable with us, asking why we are there. What an opportunity and privilege God has given us, as ordinary people, sending us out to accomplish the extraordinary.
Among the conversations come up fast food restaurants--- if you dare call it that... it's hardly food! So, when people find out that no, there are no McDonald's around every street corner in Kampala, or Starbucks Coffee nearby...they ask, where do you eat? That made me think...do you as supporters and friends following my blog know? As I lay in bed tonight, God put it on my heart to share with you what it is like there. What do I eat, where do I get my coffee?
Well, I buy most of my groceries off the street... fruit and veggies at the market or from street vendors, its so wonderful building relationships with them, I love it!! and than other items, like dairy products, there are little shops that i buy that in, and this time when I go back, I will not have a refridgerator for some time, until i can afford one, so I will just buy milk and yoghurt as necessary, thats all you need a fridge for, other items just can stay on the counter or shelf. Coffee and Tea, both can be bought from the street, and as good as a Starbucks is once in a while, I love my fresh Ugandan Tea and Coffee...i was devastated when I forgot to bring some of each back to BC with me, when leaving this past July.
Burgers...there are no burgers in Uganda like you will find in Canada. Simple. Don't expect to find one, you won't. When in Rome, do as the Romans' do, the same for Uganda. Do as they do, respect them, the culture and eat what they eat! I just read in a small book called "Foreign to Familiar", that Americans tend to eat out of leisure, as a passing time, to taste different foods, more as a sport, than a necessity. Poorer nations eat because its necessity. You need to live and to live you need to sustain your body...therefore eating. The food you eat might not be your first choice and you might not like what you are eating. You get over it and eat it anyway because its food. Personally, I have come to love most traditional Ugandan food. Serve me a plate of Rice and Beans every day, or a plate of Matooke, Kikomando's, it's great! I love it! It's filling, cheap and yes, it tastes just fine. So what if you don't have 15 items to choose from, you just get what they have, it's all good!
So, that is in a bit where my heart lies as well. God has called me to return to Uganda to serve there in the local church. I am willing to live simpler. for most of you who know me and have been to my home in Rosedale, no I don't live in a mansion, I love my trailer, it's small, it's simple and it's me. I am cool with that. Likewise in Uganda. Yes, the cost of living is cheaper in Uganda, so are the wages and everything else..take it all into consideration!!!
Therefore raising support is necessary, for some a necessary evil, and for myself, both a joy and challenge! i am thankful to be able to serve God in this way, going out as an ambassador for him, impacting the lives of children in Uganda, the next generation; by taking on the role of Director of the Children's Ministry.
Has it been your dream and wish to go to Africa; yet you can't? Pray about joining my ministry, enabling me to carry on the Call God has given me to serve in Africa, join my ministry and let your dream become true!
Will you partner with me? My Monthly Support level is at 39%, and I need yet to raise $1300/ month. Will you join my ministry and pledge $100/ month? All I need is 13 more people to pledge $100/ a month and I can head back out to Uganda to continue serving, where the need is great. Go to www.cten.org and donate online, or by calling or emailing me to set up an appointment. I would be honoured to have you on my team and would love to meet personally with you. Pray and see where God is leading you.

No comments:

Post a Comment