in front of our compound...there is no way to pass to get to the road ahead, either one has to wait for the water to recede or wade through the 2ft of it!
the water level in the creek outside our compound wall...i'll also get a pic when the water level is normal...that will be a day or two!
Today as I waited for the Immigrations office to see if my work permit had been completed and accepted, I eagerly awaited his return in hopes of heading home before the clouds opened. As the Immigration Officer (not the usual one that is dealing with my file) returned, only with news that they didn’t know where my file was, and to come back on Friday in hopes of them having found something. Leaving Immigration I was a little discouraged with my work permit taking so long to come through yet encouraged that they couldn’t make me leave the country because I am now married to a Ugandan… so basically Immigration is stuck; they can’t do anything to me except give me a work permit, they can’t make me leave…that’s kind of nice!! And when I do leave the country I no longer have to pay for a Visitor Visa upon arrival, I go into the Residency line!
Back to the rain, as the clouds threatened to open overhead, I rushed to get a taxi, only to my avail they all were full. Deciding to take a Boda to the taxi park, one happened to pull over sensing I might need a lift, and after a quick bargaining his initial fee of 4,000 UGX to the park I told him my final price was 1,500…the guy was trying to rip me off, finding out I know the rates!! Off we went, making our way through traffic jam, as I prayed for safety.
Once at the park, I found my taxi and was ready to set for home. As we left the park, the rains started, first gently sprinkling and within 10 minutes turning into a torrential rain storm. As we passed through Namasuba, and I neared my exit point the rains increased. The rain was pouring so hard traffic slowed to a crawl, people rushed undercover and all rain drains failed their purpose, overflowing beyond imaginable.
Asking the driver to let me out at my stage, I quickly surveyed the area to our compound, thanking God that it was not yet flooded and quickly passing through to get inside before the rain only intensified. As I pulled out my keys the rains came harder, my shawl covering my was soaked and my clothes were getting a quick rinse. As I fiddled with the 3 padlocks to open the door, I was starting to shiver…to wet, getting chilly and wanting something hot to drink. I quickly went in, closed the door completely and put a rag on the floor in front to catch the water that was coming in.
An hour later the rains calmed. As I sat in the dark (the power had been out all day), I searched out my camera and thought to see how the rain had treated us. The creek beside our compound with its usual 4 inches had swollen nearly 3 feet and was madly rushing the chocolate milk colored water away. I headed out to our gate, realizing that the entire area had flooded up to our gate, flooding our neighbors home, leaving her home submerged in 2 ft of water. No one could pass to the main road, we all were stranded, waiting for the waters to recede. I thanked God for our home being built up, so we weren’t in the wetlands swamp, though our area is a swampy area and easily flooded.
My heart went out to our neighbors with flooded homes, and God used that as a piece of humble pie; for while it was raining, I was mopping up some water that was being blown in under the door and through a crack in the wall, becoming frustrated at the landlords lack of better building. After seeing my neighbor lady wading from her home to some ground, her clothing completely drenched and her home submerged, God gave me a more compassionate heart.





No comments:
Post a Comment