Wednesday November 3rd
Well, I am home. I had left at 5:00pm for church, taking a Matatu to get there for Bible Study. I knew I would be late as I had gotten sidetracked trying to leave the MAF office and than running home to drop my bags and change. On the way to church, traffic was terrible we were in a traffic jam for about 10-15 minutes, and then once we got moving again, it was very slow. I arrived late for Bible Study, however as I mentioned I was late, they were just beginning with a few songs. Our Study was on Isaiah 6, and it was so good, one to challenge the mind and the heart- who am I trusting in, and am I fully and completely trusting in God, as I profess?
For the taxi ride home, I was with a friend Evelyn and her mother. Well, as it often does- usually daily; the power was out. Therefore the streets were mayhem, people everywhere using cell phones to see where they were going. Thankfully I had remembered to take my flashlight or torch as the people here call it, and so we were pretty much good to go. So, we found our Matatu, and since it was the only one coming to Makindye Hill, we were on it for the full ride. Before we got out of the Matatu Park all 14 of us passengers were already thinking, this could be a LONG ride home. Our driver seemed to know every deep pot hole to hit, no, not just an American Pothole; African potholes are serious ones that you actually get stuck in! So we were bounced and bumped all over our seat before getting on a main road.
Once we got to the main road, traffic was so bad, and our driver so dangerous, Evelyn and I joked trying to calm the nerves, this was really going to be interesting. We made it to some gas station where we then for about 20minutes, doing nothing. It was weird, and at that point already we were imagining that MAF had a helicopter as it would be too difficult to land a 206, MAF’s smallest plane on the roof of one of buildings! After leaving the gas station, we than swiftly jumped a curb, and were driving very fast through a field. The taxi driver was thinking to bypass the heavily backed up traffic- however his second choice made many of us wonder if we would truly get home in one piece. As the Matatu was not very mechanically healthy, it had difficult time trying to ‘climb’ even the smallest hill. We drove over train tracks, through the narrowest pothole filled back roads, and wondering where we were. It took over an hour to get from the Matatu Park to the Makindye stage, where I got off. Our ride, well I tried to describe it best I could, but it was the worst imaginable ride one could ever imagine. As we passed the small food stands, and medical centers, to ease the tension, Evelyn and I would joke about at least having some bananas to eat, a bed frame to sleep on or a medical center to go to. Yes, it’s not a ride one going 4x4ing would even want to do. As we dodged food stands, electricity poles and tree stumps, there were Boda’s coming our way and people literally jumping for cover. It was the worst Matatu ride ever!
No, it hasn’t scared me from taking another Matatu ride, as usually they are really good, and in time, however this particular driver was not about caring for his passengers. I am a little stiff already, a half hour after getting home, so hopefully tomorrow I am not too sore.
Yes, it was an interesting evening to say the least. Thank you for your prayers, we needed them very much!
No comments:
Post a Comment