Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Medical Emergency

It is Wednesday night, and I am heading home FROM Bible Study at church. Stuck in a traffic jam as is the routine at night; my phone rings. I see that Klazina is calling and my mind goes 'NO!' Klazina hurries to tell me that Josiah (7yrs) had been riding his bike hit a bump or something and wiped out. He has a high up guy has broken his arm and they are at the The Surgery, a doctor's office in town, and that he will need surgery first thing in the morning. I quickly decide that I will spend the night at their home, to be there for the children and try to help out. Arriving at the stage, my favourite Boda driver is there, so I ask him to take me home and then to Klazina's time. The children are anxiously waiting for the sound of the car coming up to the compound, as well as Frances with her 3 children, and Isha with Jocelyn along with the guard, waiting on chairs by the gate.

Faith having been with Josiah when he fell felt terrible and was quite upset as one could imagine. It is not too long before they are Home, and Josiah is in immense pain, having had X-ray's and a temporary splint and sling put on. As he lies in bed, and I hugged him goodnight, he says to me "Sleep Well!" Ok, I thought, this is too funny, he is the one who needs to sleep well, but it was so special to hear him caring for others as he was lying there in so much pain. I truly believe that God gave him the tolerance to deal with it. Josiah had not only broke his arm, as in a simple break, but the forearm bones of his Left hand had twisted to a point that a piece of bone near his elbow broke off and the surgeon was needing to twist back the bones and pin the broken piece of bone back in place. A brutal surgery, but we anxiously prayed for a good thorough surgery, that his arm might heal well.

At 6am, Klazina opens the door to the guestroom where I was sleeping and tells me they are on their way to a hospital in Entebbe, for the surgery. I wake up to speak a few words with her and promptly fall asleep as she closes the door! I wake up to hear Sarah Anne helping Matthias with some Cereal for breakfast and look at my phone to see that it was 8am! Yes, I was sure tired; having stayed up talking for several hours after all the children were tucked in bed. We have breakfast and the phone rings, and Sarah Anne tells us that they are on their way home from the hospital and Josiah has surgery the following day. Again, we are anxious to hear the car, wondering why he didn't have the surgery today. We soon find out that bone surgeries are scheduled for Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays; and so Josiah has to go through the day with much pain, with plans to have surgery Friday morning at 7:30; spending the night at the hospital and coming home on Saturday. What a day. As our school lessons are distracted and our thoughts are elsewhere, the day goes by, and the work gets done, though I am not sure how!

I leave the Paps after finishing teaching for the day, with plans to return after dinner to stay the night so I can be there to help in the morning. As I leave and go for a visit to a friend, I am there and receive a call from another friend that her sister who has been sick for some time with Malaria and Typhoid, is getting worse and she is leaving work to go see what we can do. I meet her and we take her to the doctor, knowing when he arrives, in hope that we can see him very soon. Arriving at the doctor before 5pm, knowing he begins at 5 and as usual in a doctor's office; we wait and wait and wait! After nearly an hour of waiting, she is finally seen, given medication and we are one our way home again. My heart was burdened by the time I arrived home, after having spent the night and day with Josiah, and the difficulty it has been for him with his arm, and then to wait for so long in the doctor office for my friend to see the doctor after she has been sick for so long, and then made her wait even longer; it truly was a faith tester. Those of you in the Western countries, I do hope your realize how good it is back there; please do not complain, or put yourself in either Josiah or Angela's situation; where time means nothing here, and there is no hurry. Praise the Lord that Josiah is planned to have surgery in the morning and that we were able to take Angela to the doctor, but it is very emotionally exhausting seeing dear ones in much pain, and so ill.

Please keep them in your prayers, as Josiah recovers from the serious surgery to fix his arm, and for Angela that this medication will finally begin to work, as she has been very ill for several weeks already. Please also keep my friend Irene in your prayers as she also is recovering from Typhoid. God has been so good, and in this New Year, there are so many evidences of it already! What a blessing it is, to know that God is always with us, through good times and bad! Praise God! It is my continual wish and prayer that as we begin this New Year, that God would continue to grow us more and more into His likeness, and that through trials and temptations God will bring us through with ever a stronger faith!


 

Hello again,

It is Monday morning, and Klazina called me out of bed, as Josiah had a fever and had clicking in his arm...NOT GOOD! So I am here once again, and Gerrit and Klazina have just left for The Surgery, the doctor's office that our MAF staff goes to.

A little bit of an update here on how the weekend went, as G&K took Josiah to CorSU Hospital on Thursday morning to find out that there are Plastic Surgeries on that day, so they sent them home, with a booking for surgery on Friday morning at 7:30am. Thursday was a long day, poor Josiah was in so much pain, and when he moved his fingers, he felt it in his arm as the muscles and ligaments were torn and so it was very difficult for him. Every time he moved it the wrong way or it got bumped, he would wail in pain. Yes, Thursday was a very long day! We were able to make it through our schooling, though we all were so distracted it was hard to concentrate. As I left for the day for an appt for a haircut, I got a phone call from another friend with the news that her sister with Malaria and Typhoid was not doing well. So we spent the later part of the afternoon with her, bringing her to the Dr. Office as well. As I arrived home at about 7:30 that evening, I called Gerrit and told him I'd be coming over ASAP, I just needed to shower and get another change of clothes. Well, he called me back and said that Klazina would be taking Josiah in for Surgery in the morning, so I didn't need to spend the night. To be honest, I was relieved, I was so tired, and I felt like I had run a marathon.

As I woke up Friday morning, and went to the Pap's Josiah had already been gone to the hospital for a while. Praise the Lord, surgery went well, and the doctors put in 2 pins to keep the bone in place. Klazina spent the day with him, and when we finished school for the day, Gerrit brought us to visit Josiah! We spent some time with him, and as he was doing well, he was discharged and we brought him home with us. What a long day it was! From there, I was nearly on weekend mode, and hoping to catch up on some sleep. Having worried about how all would go, and just being there, seeing him in so much pain, I was exhausted!

The weekend went well, I was able to get some sleep, and had a fabulous Sunday, singing in choir at church. Monday morning greeted me to my phone ringing..."Oops!" yes, it was Klazina again and Josiah had a fever and they needed to take him back to the surgery again. I was at their home not 20 minutes later, and they had already left to the doctors. The kids and I eagerly awaited a phone call or text on how Josiah was fairing, and as we worked through our school, we were all thankful to find out that all was well, and there was no infection, though a slight fever remained!

So, that is where the scary Josiah's story ends...I hope anyway! Today, I was very happy to see him come into the classroom, get his books and put them on the table, all ready to go! God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment