seeing the sights... a Tuk Tuk; a 3 wheeled 'car'.... what fun! Sipping at our Madafu, (fresh coconut)
fishermen heading out to make the catch of the day, supporting local seafood restaurants
Getting a little close for comfort.... but we inched closer yet again, seeing how far we could push our limits before the tall guy chose to scare us off!!
A kiss for you!!
YAY, WE ARE HERE!!!! FINALLY!!!!
Baby Crocodiles... so cute, innocent and harmless!!!
Riding a camel!! A great highlight!
Mombasa finally arrived....well we arrived in Mombasa!!
After months of excitement and planning, a good friend Nargis and I with 3 other friends headed off, on the bus enroute to Mombasa, Kenya.
It was the 13th of June, and we were on the Mid day bus. Excitement is under rating it, especially since we had been looking forward to this trip for so long! Our bus ride took us from leaving Kampala, UG at 12:30pm to arriving in Nairobi, Kenya at 1am. From Nairobi we headed off to Mombasa, arriving there at 7:30am. Yes, it was a very long journey, but we were there, so it had only begun!
Nargis' Uncle picked us up from the Bus Depot, and brought us to our hotel, near the ocean, treating us to a 'Mombasa Breakfast', and leaving us to rest. After sleeping for a few hours and freshening up, a friend of Nargis' picked us up and drove us around, showing us many beautiful sights.
Monday brought us to Haller Park, a 1010 Acre park in the middle of busy Mombasa. It was like stepping into Paradise itself, so beautiful! As we entered the guards informed us that the giraffe feeding was taking place, so we rushed to join them... what fun it was, feding a giraffe, feeling it's long slimy tongue wrapping around the food on your hand!! It was great!!!
After taking a few hours to tour the park and seeing some amazing sights, the scenery of nature, Albino Crocodiles, different flowers, singing birds, and the list goes on. From Haller Park, we headed to the Main Beach, for some food and to hang out at the beach. I can't tell you how gorgeous it was!! The sun shining high in the bright blue sky, the warm, salty waters rolling in and out, with waves bringing in seashells and sea creatures. visitors from all over, walking the beach, sitting in the sun and enjoying God's most amazing creation! While at the Ocean I took the opportunity to ride a Camel... it was great!!! We finished off a fabulous Tuesday by spending some time bowling at the local bowling alley.... great memories!!
Tuesday... it started off so beautifully, the sun brightly shining in our apartment windows, welcoming everyone to the beach! So, that is where my day began, taking a stroll to the beach, walking in the tide, picking seashells, watching little crabs racing across the sand, chatting with fishermen preparing to head out for the day's catch. I can't explain the beauty of it all, it was a need to have been there experience! I ended up chatting with a local Mombasa man, who talked for hours on end.... for the most part it was very interesting, but I wasn't in for a sermon, I was on the beach relaxing!! While there, I found a live Sea Urchin about 6inches around, it was beautiful! It's tentacles wiggling, the eye looking around... so amazing!!
After a few hours some of the friends came down to the beach and we walked and walked and walked!!! The tide was going out, so we were able to go to all different areas, finding Corral Reef Caverns, many local vendors selling their touristy wares for insane prices....
It was so beautiful!! After the morning at the beach, later in the afternoon, we walked over to visit the largest Crocodile Farm in Africa, containing over 15,000 Crocodiles!! It was huge!!!
While there we watched a crocodile feeding, tasted roasted crocodile... not super yummy... it was too fatty!! Also at the Farm, was a reptile area in which Nargis and I took the opportunity to hold a poisonous Python... no, we didn't realize it was a python until after it was back in the cage! It was so big, my guess is 2 meters in length. Feeling the scales on the underside of the snake, as it's body shifted was really neat... until he turned and looked me in the eye... than I decided his visit on my shoulders was over!! It was great to hold him... but his face was a little too close for comfort!!!
So, that was our Tuesday.... jam packed full of excitement! After walking the entire day, we headed home early to cook dinner and sleep.
Well, that night I was up sick, and that only continued on for the next few days. It wasn't the most eventful part of the trip! After a visit to the clinic, and coming home with a bag full of meds to treat a stomach infection, I took to my bed for a long time! That was pretty much Wednesday and Thursday. Since I had planned to go only for a week, and having been sick half the time, I was praying I would recover enough for the bus ride home on Friday... and Praise God, I was! It was a great time in Mombasa, but coming home couldn't have been better!
Nargis and Denis, stayed in Mombasa and hope to return home on Wednesday, while Hellen, Jacky and Myself headed home on the Friday Midday bus, arriving in Kampala at 8am on Saturday!! Home Sweet Home it was!!!
Alls well, ends well!! I had a wonderful Sunday, seeing all my 'family' at church, and spending the afternoon and evening with a 'special friend!'
So.... the week continues as I log off and head up to the office to do prep work for a VBS I am heading up next week, amidst the 'goodbye's for now' to several friends, and packing.... what to take to Canada, what to leave her for when I return... and the list goes on!!!
So, that was that!!
Have a blessed week and catch ya later.... Canada, in 2 weeks i'm heading you're way!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment