As the sun shines brightly, the brisk wind penetrates our jackets as we are headed to church. A great lesson on Ruth 1, and how she is was an overcomer; with God at her side, she was able to overcome the loss of her husband, brother-in-law, and father-in-law. Than her mother-in-law Naomi chose to return from Moab to her homeland in Israel, wanting Ruth and her sister-in-law Orpah to remain behind in their homeland. Ruth chose to stand by her, and return to Judah, where there was again plenty. God helped her overcome leaving her family behind, travelling with Naomi to Israel, needing to work, waiting on God for help, and finally marrying Boaz and conceiving Obed, ultimately the heir to the Throne, our Way Truth and Life; Jesus.
What an encouragement it was for me to hear how Ruth was so strong through it all, and how she was so patient in waiting for God as He helped her overcome all those obstacles. I can learn so much from her example, and it is my prayer to be a better Ruth, being patient and overcoming, while fully trusting in God’s sovereign hand in my life.
Several times I’ve been challenged by the call that I feel God has given me, as a servant and ambassador of Him to serve in Uganda. The first was before my first trip as I was raising a significant amount of Support to sustain Mission Aviation Fellowship and my mission with them as the Pap’s home school teacher. It was a real test for me, in not only trusting in God, because sometimes that’s just easy. But to trust in His sovereign will for my life is another ball park. Was I fully trusting that He was sovereign and in full control, taking care of every minor detail of my life? Were my friends and family trusting in Him as Sovereign in our lives and in the aspect of Support Raising as I prepared to serve in Uganda; leaving them all?
Though we profess to be Christians, calling ourselves servants of the Most High, we often overlook the fact that God is Lord, the King, and Jehovah Jireh our Provider; the One who knows each and every detail of our life, as He planned it out. Was God going to provide the necessary support? Was I really called by God to go to Uganda? Was I just imagining things and going in the direction I wanted? No, it hadn’t been my idea of an adventure, as I seemed to have all my ducks in a row; a church I was serving in many minstries in, the perfect job I loved, not ever thinking my life would be changed so drastically. No, I never doubted that God called me to Uganda, as I felt that years before after serving on 3 different occasions with Samaritans Purse after Hurricane Katrina down in New Orleans, Louisianna; God placed a strong passion and desire to serve Him overseas, but He said ‘wait’.
3 years later...
It wasn’t an easy road, as I worked through deputation, the application process, going to Ontario for Orientation and then coming back with 3 months to raise virtually an impossible amount of support; to head off to Uganda for 10 months. What was I thinking, how was that going to happen, was it possible, was I sure God was really calling me to Uganda?
Well, I still do believe in miracles and my being able to head to Uganda in 4 months was nothing short of a miracle. Yes, it was very trying and my faith was tested every day, several times a day for months, as I would lay it all before Him, knowing that He had called me to Uganda and He would bring me there too. He did, I left for Uganda on September 23rd and am now back here in Canada as a witness! God was Sovereign and helped me overcome my greatest fears, and His will was done.
Now as I prepare for long-term ministry once again in Uganda, I am fully convinced that God is the Great Provider, and Sovereign Lord of my life. I do not doubt His call in my life, and know that He will bring me back home to Uganda again. In His time, not mine; as much as my heart yearns to just be back in Uganda again I am waiting for Him to give me the go-ahead. My home is there, and I miss everything about it and look forward to serving there once again. I am so thankful for this time I have to be here in Canada, but my heart is not here, it was left behind in Uganda. I have had many special occasions with my family and friends, and now as I have connected with Riverside Calvary Chapel in Langley, getting to know another church family has been such a blessing. God has been so good to me and continues to daily teach me and challenge me in my faith and walk with Him. I am blessed to be able to serve God here in Canada while I am here; whether in BC where my family lives and many friends or in Alberta where I am now visiting and encouraging friends as we walk together serving the Great High Priest. What a blessing knowing that though I am here in Alberta, or in BC or in Uganda, God is there by my side, and He is with me every hour of every day. What a joy to know that whatever I go through in my walk with Jesus, regardless of how trying and painful it is, God is with me.
Now as I am in full-time Support Raising once again, God has been providing in the most amazing ways, and it’s been so exciting to see His hand in all that happens! In July I left Uganda to finish my contract with MAF, headed back to Ontario first to go through debriefing and on to BC, in preparation for the next period of my life. Since the return, I’ve had a serious accident with my thumb, cutting the tendon and not being able to work or do anything really. God brought me to tears more than once, as I was at my wits end, not knowing what God was doing in my life, but all the while He was drawing me closer to Him. Today; 12 weeks since the accident, I am regaining the strength in my wrist and hand, and am a possible candidate for another surgery to take out some scar tissue from the wound. The wound healed well, but there is too much scar tissue, and after now weeks of physio there are some exercises I am still unable to do with my thumb. It has been so exciting to return to doing things I haven’t been able to in so long. Having had a full arm and hand splint for 6 weeks post surgery, and a wrist that has become so weak I cannot pick up my friends little children. Yes, those little things have tested my faith so much. Not being able to pick up things, my friends children, to start my lawnmower, open a can with a can opener, cut my finger nails on the non-injured hand and grasp simple objects because of my invalid hand… it’s brought me to tears more than I’d like to remember.
God has helped me to overcome so many obstacles since returning to Canada, and I know there are many more ahead as I prepare for my return back again. But I know and am fully assured as Romans 8:31-32 says; “What than shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?”
Also as Brian Doerksen sings in one of his songs; “Surer than the stars still shine above, I can rest in your faithfulness”
I look forward to the next obstacles God brings into my life and pray for the grace to accept whatever it is; knowing that it is for the testing of my faith and to draw me near to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment