As I walk down the street, heading to the taxi park, I take in all the smells, sights, sounds and whatever else one can capture. To the left, as I walk on the street beside the sidewalk, there are numerous homeless men, women and children lying on the sidewalk, on a piece of torn cardboard as padding with an empty burlap sack as a blanket. Some have woken up, and are beginning to pack up their few belongings before starting their day. Some are lying amidst the trash in the street, others are going through the trash, looking for something to keep or fill their stomach with. I smell the exhaust of the Matatu's busy as always, the rotten food in the trash, excretement, and body odour. I see sights that are hard to imagine in a different land, yet here it is a reality. The street is beginning to wake for a new day, hopefully accomplishing more than the previous day. As I continue walking on, I pray with thankfulness to God, for choosing that street for me to walk on, on my way to church. I am so thankful for the many undeserved benefits as I see what God has blessed those around me with. I pray for those living on the streets and gratitude fills my heart. God remains faithful and His promises are ever sure.
Through the Matatu Park I walk, my sandals sinking in the fresh mud, as I feel it squish between my toes. "Mzungu, Mzungu!" many cry, trying to get my attention. Some I greet, others not, I am heading to church and need to be focused. One cannot answer all the greetings cried out to them, as most are for buying wares or taking a Matatu anyway! As I reach the stairs, leading up to Burton Street, and near the church, there is trash strewn all over the stairs and on the walkways, and one has to tread carefully, or will have a nasty fall. The stairs already have occupants, seated, trying to earn their days meal. Disabled sit on the stairs, one missing an entire leg, another just a portion of a leg, one without legs, blind people... As I continue on, up the stairs, passing the trash, those physically needy, I feel so guilty, and convicted- what have I done to help those, I pass them several times a week, sometimes several times a day. What can I share with them? I am too afraid to speak to them, though I'm not sure why. They might not even understand me and I don't know their language.
As I climb the flights of stairs up to the 4th floor, I rest and look out the window on the busy streets below. I have so much to be thankful for. I can see, smell, hear, talk, walk and comprehend, while so many cannot, and struggle with life. I have a roof over my head, a safe home to go to, food to fill my stomach and clothes to wear a wonderful job to go to. What more could I ask for?
As I reflect on my time here in Uganda so far, I cannot accurately describe the country. I am living on the outskirts of Kampala, on Makindye Hill. I have transportation to and from town when needed and do not see what the villagers live like. In the city, and on our hill, fresh fruit and vegetable stands line the streets and sidewalks. Fresh, warm Chapati are waiting for you if you are hungry. You can purchase soap, milk, groundnuts, coal and whatever you might need without having to travel far.
This week marks the last week of teaching before beginning the Christmas Break. After 2 months of teaching, God has taught me so much, both in the Bible lessons I have been teaching the children, but so much more in day to day life. It is not easy and as I was reflecting on it with a friend this evening, I told her how I had prayed that God would help me to understand the culture, people and life in general. God has been answering my prayer since I've arrived and though it hasn't been easy to accept that yes that is what I had prayed for, God was and continues to work mightily in my life through the Ugandans.
During the Christmas Break, i hope to travel a short distance to visit some friends from Canada. They are also missionaries but living in a complete different world than mine, though not too far away. They live with their family and three other missionaries in a village, where they have been working to educate the people on living. The children are in school (though the Ugandan school year is finished for the year), there is a medical facility, a farm on which animals are raised and the people have learnt to farm and care for them. I look forward to spending time with my friends for 10 days, spending Christmas with them and then returning to Kampala on the 31st to spend New Year's Eve with other friends.
I am so thankful that God made it possible for me to come and serve here. I have been so richly blessed and humbled over and over again. I look forward to the work He has before me and the lessons also- as difficult as they might be. One of the most special things here so far in Uganda has been the people. They don't cease to amaze me, and are so special. God has blessed me with so many Ugandan friends, both as part of our MAF team and from church. We have had so many special times together, and they have been such a blessing in my life. I truly look forward to the months ahead, serving as teacher for the Pap's as well as on the worship team at Calvary Chapel Kampala, the church I have made home while here. I look forward to getting involved in a children's home in the New Year as well; though the weeks go by so quickly and are so busy!
Well, it's time for bed and I'm tired! Before I go, I would like to thank you all again from the bottom of my heart, for the continued prayers, encouragement emails, facebook messages, blog comments and financial support, in sustaining my ministry here. It is my wish and prayer for you that God would continue to richly bless you all in all you do, that it might be to the glory of God and to the extension of His Kingdom.
Wishing you all a truly Blessed Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.
Love in Christ, Lena
No comments:
Post a Comment