March 1st...Where has time gone?
It's been over 5 months since my arrival here in Uganda, and as I shared my heart with the Worship Team at church today, many commented saying I had just arrived, and yes that is what it feels like, yet it's over half way my term here in Uganda. God has blessed me so richly and I do pray earnestly that I might be able to return to Uganda, the Lord willing. I would love to return within a few months, but I leave it in God's hands as to when...but this is where my heart lies.
A friend Diana asked me during a break of singing at church if I missed home, rather, she said "you must miss home, your family and what." But I told her no, I don't and that is true. There are times where the distance has been difficult, but I feel my home is here, and though my family and friends from Canada are far, with God all things are possible and that distance doesn't seem so far. Especially with email, phone and such these days, a person on the other side of the world that really is the distance between me here in Uganda and BC back in Canada, is only a phone call away!
I thank God for an opportunity today while at church, where a lady who is working on putting together a mentoring and teaching program at a school about an hour north of Kampala, in Luwero. This lady was introduced to me by my friend Harriet, and asked me to help her with lesson planning and any tips I could offer her, so I have her email and look forward to corresponding with her via email to see what her vision is. I am so grateful for that opportunity so far, as Harriet said to me later, why I don't just come back and work with her...well, it all is in God's hands and I am trusting in Him for my future. I know many opportunities will come up, I will become excited about them and there will be disappointments, but Glory to God for it all!
I am also so thankful for the many emails and messages while I was ill, it was a trying time, but I am so grateful for all my friends here, their prayers, messages of encouragement and what, I am back to myself, with my regular energy again, so Praise God for that...me without my energy doesn't function well!!
Another funny occurrence; Saturday after Worship practice and a meeting at church, as I was heading to the taxi park I heard someone call out, to me "Hey American!" well, that's a normal thing to hear, not the American part, but it's usually "Hey Mzungu!" so I had to laugh to myself, they were partially right, as I am half American, so to hear that was funny! I've yet to hear someone on the street call out "Hey Canadian!" Not to say it will not happen, but I would surely be shocked to hear that!!! Most Africans assume that any Mzungu's they see are from either the UK or the States, so when I am chatting with someone I've just met and tell them I am from Canada, they are surprised and ask, "Do you talk French?"...Ha, well, had I learnt it in school, I could have said yes, but since we learnt Dutch as a second language I tell them that the part of Canada that speaks French is very far away, and there are very few who speak it. It's a normal assumption here that most Canadians speak French. I'm thankful that is not the case...I'd have to work on another language than, and Luganda that's the hardest of all. English is a no-brainer, Dutch- thanks to the heritage and learning it in school; Spanish- learning it at work and working with Mexicans, now Luganda....that's tough!!
So that's a few of the most recent happenings here in Kampala, other than the big rains, it's been a soggy week and I've felt like a duck fairly often; wading through the mud and what to and from work! Another small update, I will be working on my next Newsletter, and hope to have that come out sometime this month, so keep your eye open for it. If you would like to receive it via mail or email, please contact me at lena_mulder@msn.com with your email address or mailing address if in Canada, and otherwise give me a call at 011-256-772-777807 (if you are calling from Canada, that's great, BUT, I am 11 hours ahead of you, so please consider that!).
God bless you all, Lena
No comments:
Post a Comment