Monday, March 29, 2010

An Orphanage Visit

Today I went to visit a friend Nikki at an orphanage in Nansana, a north western part of Kampala. AS I have just met Nikki a few weeks back, and we are 'nearly' family...her brother Brody and his wife Carolyn and their little guy, Clayton being very dear friends of mine! So, we've been trying to spend adequate time together before she leaves this weekend to head back to the States.
I took a boda to Nansana, enjoying the ride, as the wind flew through my hair, and reached their in good time as traffic was pretty good. After meeting Nikki and heading back to 'Another Hope' we spent some time with little Solomon, and Freda, two of the children home, as they are too young yet to go to school, and had agreat time! What precious little ones they are! It put a renewed zeal in my heart and prayer to return here to work in an place with Ugandan children.
As the morning passed I helped on of the Aunties prepare lunch by peeling Matooke with her...if I worked there I would have been fired, she managed to keep her Matooke nice and clean and mine, were black with soot from the charcoal! She just laughed at me and told me that's because she knows how to peel them! At the rate I could peel one, she had 3 done!
Well, after that Nikki, Matt and Beck, two other volunteers with the orphanage and I walked to the school to pick up 8 other children, brought them home and fed them Posho and Beans for lunch. They all were so happy, and little Sandra, one of the girls I walked home with sung to me nearly the entire time! It was so special...I sure do miss working with little ones, it's been several years since Nannying back home and yet I miss it! Children are indeed a blessing!!
After the children finished lunch, the Aunties tucked them in for their afternoon nap and Nikki, Beck and I headed to town for some errands. As usual, we had a great time, and it wasn't long before I needed to head back home to prepare for my English course that I needed to teach. Before leaving them, we settled for a trip to Nando's a great little restaurant that served us wonderful 'Peanut Buster Parfait's'!! We loved every bit of them, reminding us of the great IceCream back home!!!
What a great day! It's nearly over, and I will soon be heading home, before it gets too dark and I need to get a boda home.
Tomorrow I hope to go visit Heritage International School, on the East Side of Kampala, and am looking forward to visiting some friends there from Church that teach there!
So yes, as I'm on Easter Break, it's been planned full already, and that's great!!!
Well, I need to be going...but will be back soon!!

Love you all!
God bless, Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment