Friday, May 14, 2010

Safari Trip

Wow, where has time gone?

I feel like I am really getting behind in my blogging! I have been so busy, I've forced myself to sit down and update before going to bed! This past week I went on a 4 day Safari with my friend Lena, and we had a great time! WE went with a Safari group in Kampala, and so we were with 6 others and a guide. Queen Elizabeth National Park, in Western Uganda was a gorgeous place to be! Though the travel was far, as were happy to arrive, and as we arrived around dinner time, it was very convenient to order dinner, settle in our dorm room, and eat in our PJ's, promptly heading to bed immediately after! The first day started out with a community walk through a village; which Lena and I found very interesting, as we both had been to villages previously; so to be with a tour group- of tourists really was uncomfortable. It is interesting how many dumb questions people can ask! Yes, we made our way ahead, enjoying the time alone with the villagers we passed by, greeting them in the local tongue. After being here for some time and calling it home, and then to be with a group of tourists, one really realizes how out of the tourist world they are, and in our minds get fairly defensive. WE had to bite our tongues to not say things we would regret, though among ourselves we asked if we too, upon arriving had asked such absurd questions….like; "Can a lion kill a water buffalo?"… Is that not common sense?!

The game drives through the park were great, and we really enjoyed them; seeing many Uganda Cob (the BC version of a white tailed deer), antelope of various species, a lone elephant, a leopard that dashed across the road so quick there is no picture; and then the lack of lions! Included in the trip was a boat ride in which we had the best time, seeing a large herd of elephants at the channel, countless hippo's, and water buffalo! Crocodiles and many species of birds at the water's edge as well monkey's here and there jumping from tree to tree. We stayed at a wonderful place near the park, and after each day, filled with the game drives, a village walk and than a hike around on of Uganda's 72 Crater Lakes', Lena and I were exhausted and loved our beds! We were soaking up the opportunities to head to bed early each night, after looking forward to a vacation from work; as our group members sat around and chatted until the wee hours of the morning… another touristy thing I'm sure!!

We arrived safely home on Wednesday afternoon, and again, Lena and I the Ugandan's of our group; were so excited to see the hills of Kampala rising in the distance… it was fabulous to have gone on a trip, but coming back home was just as great! I was excited to see my friends again, and was happy that we had arrived back in time for me to head to church for Bible Study. The only disappointment is that it was a pretty boring birthday, though I knew we'd be on the road all day! As I am hoping to have a BBQ for my birthday this Saturday, most of my friends thought that was my birthday, missing the actual day. That is when pride comes too strong, and I had come home sad that my best friends here had forgotten… well, it was simply another day as each year! I am excited for the BBQ though, and went to pick up the groceries today for a few salads, burgers and hotdogs and than s'mores around the campfire, with fresh squeezed punch!

Ok…. Think that is about it for today, I am tired, and had a busy day cleaning house and then heading to town for groceries, finishing the day with a movie at church with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment