This morning I woke up, a little apprehensive, as there was a Ladies Retreat planned, and I haven't been in a group of over 50 white women since Canada! I know, how funny that sounds, but when you are used to only seeing whites scattered here and there to get into a big group of them sometimes for me is not a comfortable thing...especially here in Uganda!
As I prepared to go, I touched base with 2 friends I was going to meet up with; Sally and Malaina. Sure enough, we were meeting outside at 10am. As we all went in, it turned out I knew many more of the ladies, having worked with many of them while serving with Mission Aviation Fellowship from 2009-2010 here in Uganda.
As we started with some powerful worship songs, I was touched, and blessed greatly turning my uncomfortable feelings far away as the Holy Spirit replaced them with a yearning heart, eager to learn from our speaker. Jenny, was visiting from the UK, and was with Freedom In Christ Ministries, teaching us on the Significance, Acceptance and Security we have in Christ as believers!
I was so blessed I felt led to share a few of these things with you, so do enjoy them, and I hope and pray you are as blessed as I was!
I AM SIGNIFICANT
I am no longer worthless, inadequate, helpless or hopeless. In Christ I am deeply significant and special. God say's: Matt 5:13-14 I am the salt of the earth and the light of the world. John 15:16 I have been chosen and appointed by God to bear fruit.Eph 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence. Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
I AM ACCEPTED
I am no longer rejected, unloved or dirty. In Christ I am completely accepted. God say's: John 1:12 I am God's child. Romans 5:1 I have been justified. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 I have been bought with a price, I belong to God. Eph 2:18 I have direct access to God through the Holy Spirit. Col 1:14 I have been redeemed and forgiven for all my sins. Col 2:10 I am complete in Christ.
I AM SECURE
I am no longer guilty, unprotected, alone or abandoned. In Christ I am totally secure. God say's: Romans 8:28 I am assured that all things work together for good. Phil 1:6 I am confident that the good work that God has begun in me will be perfected. Phil 3:20 I am a citizen of heaven. 2 Tim 1:7 I have not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. Hebrews 4:16 I can find grace and mercy to help in time of need.
We all were so blessed by these 3 truths, I thought this alone would take time to process and my brain was already full. Than Jenny, our speaker went on to share with us how in Christ we are free from legalism, how to become free and how to confirm that we are free from it, that the devil instills into our lives, communities, families and traditions. Legalism is not Christ-like or of Christ in any way. We cannot earn God's acceptance by keeping certain man-made rules by attending church so many times a day, or by living a certain life during the week, or by trying to be more spiritual than others, by being quick to judge people or not being willing to accept/relate to those who have different opinions. The list goes on, but it struck me how legalistic we can be and not even realize it. It was truly humbling, hearing that so many times in our growing up years we have had these rules pounded into our young heads, and as we grow, we are bound by those rules, not realizing until God has set us free from that, that so many of those things are wrong and legalistic. God is not a God of legalism, for it is a sin of the flesh that robs us of living in the truth, grace and freedom that Jesus won for us on the cross. Hallelujah that we have been freed from that! All because of John's words: Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free~ John 8:32
Jenny went on to teach us that we are surrounded by God in each and every second of every day, by illustrating for us that you choose 5 people, one steps forward and the four eventually take posts around the person in the center. The 4 people are 'God', 2 of the 4 people standing on either side of the central person. Than the other 2 people take place, one in front and the other behind. The side people each hold up the central persons hands, and the front and behind people place hands on the central person, one on the shoulders, another on the head. In that illustration, Jenny than read to us from Psalm 139:5-12, "You hem me in behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me, such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?..." What an amazing God we have!!!
Ok, i'll cut it short here, we need to know that since God surrounds us, caring for us even when it doesn't seem like it, He's there! That also the devil, a roaring lion seeks to devour who ever he can get his hands on, so we need to be aware of his schemes as 2 Cor 2:11 tells us. We need to know who we are, what is our identity in Christ, and become aware of the schemes satan uses against us, so that we can counter them with the truth.
To end, check out these few scriptures on Truth, and be encouraged!! 2 Cor 5:17, Romans 12:2, 2 Cor 10:5.
No comments:
Post a Comment