
While I was down with pneumonia from the fumigation, I was able to walk short distances before becoming breathless, and was able to take advantage of my 'Ministry Bin'. Filling a canvas bag, I made a round through the neighborhood, giving out old clothing of mine to some ladies, a mosquito net that we didn't need, as well as some pillowcase dresses that a friend in Canada had made, along with some 'Canada' shirts. I really enjoyed this time out of the house, getting some fresh air, being encouraged as well as meeting some of the neighbors. What I had to be careful of was that they didn't follow me home. If they did, soon enough we'd have them knocking on our door asking for help in each and every way. Sad as it was, I had to tell some girls that did decide to follow me, asking for my phone number, that sorry, I gave them some clothes and thats where it had to stop. Me, being a 'Muzungu', basically their label for a white person, meant I have loads of $$$. It's a sad deception, but made by most Ugandans, so I have to be careful in any outreach I do.
My next outreach project in our neighborhood, I hope to go buy some small boys shirts and shoes from the Owino Market, a massive market with bales of clothing, shoes and other household goods that come from 1st world countries. From there, i'll be able to reach out to some small boys as well...they don't look so cute in flowery pillowcase dresses!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment