Monday, October 5, 2009

First day of School today!

Taking the Matato (taxi) to town for the evening. Me, Carole and Irene
Evelien, Irene, Carole, Stephan, myself and Asha, out Friday night

My studious students!

Today was my first day of teaching and I am so thankful for it! It was a very good day, and though there will be challenges ahead, it was great so far. I had set up ‘my schoolroom’ last week and so everything was organized and ready to go.
I began the day with a few simple guidelines to follow, with a Bible lesson from a great curriculum I had taken along with me; “The Young Peacemaker”. It is a curriculum designed to teach students to respond to conflict God’s way. We started with the first chapter this morning; Part 1, Understanding Conflict, Chapter 1 Conflict is a Slippery Slope. It is my wish and prayer for both the children and myself to learn much of what God commands us regarding these lessons that I hope to teach the children. What we hope to learn in this first lesson is; what is conflict? What is at the heart of conflict? Is it possible to honour God in conflict? And several more challenging and thought provoking questions.
After the Bible lesson, and the Memory time, we have begun working through the many paces of each subject. This evening I hope to go over each pace and organize more of a schedule, including the order of paces and the timelines each one has. As each child had different strengths, each one has completed a few paces of the subjects they enjoy, leaving the less enjoyable ones for later- so, now we will conquer them all!
There were Tennis Lesson’s for PE at the ARA, a club with many activities, as well as offering lessons for students; however, due to the heavy rains and thunderstorm, the lessons were cancelled for today.
This past weekend was wonderful. I spent Friday night with a group of new friends and we had a great time, than Saturday, I slept in, and then did some housework and went to the ARA for MAF’s weekly Volleyball debrief! In evening I went to MAF families to visit and we sat down and watched a movie.
Sunday, was also a wonderful day, I went to church with the Lincoln family, on whose compound I live, and was very excited to be under preaching similar to Pastor Tim’s as well as finding books on the back table from John McArthur, and a few other authors that Valley has in its library- Praise the Lord I have found a home church here in Uganda!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment