I woke this morning to shaking in my bed...after giving it some thought, I concluded it must have been tremors from an earthquake and I promptly fell asleep again. Later this morning, as I passed by the MAF office, on my way to the stage to get a taxi to church, the heavens opened and a much needed rain poured down, resulting in flash floods. Such a drastic change from so much dust and drought after no rains since about Christmas. While waiting at the MAF office for the rains to slow, it was confirmed to me by a friend that sure enough, it was an earthquake that woke me this morning at 6:30am measuring a 5.0 magnitude.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc00023b5.php
I met this morning with the Pastors from Church, and am excited and look forward to beginning work...getting into routine once again! I will be helping with Administration work, as well as with Frontline, our Street Kids Ministry Program. For now I will be working part time, as I settle, find a house, make a home, and just figure out all the details.
There have been many changes since leaving here last July, as well as mass inflation with fuel, food and housing costs.
Previously for fuel we had been paying 2700 UG shillings/liter (about $1.25), now it has risen to 3400UGS/liter (about $1.70). That is just one of few things that have risen in cost as well as milk, originally from 1200/liter up now to 1700/liter, fresh fruit and vegetable costs are very expensive. Many items have even doubled in price.
Saturday I went into the village for an 'Introduction', a traditional ceremony where the Groom-to-be's family and friends are welcomed to the village of the Bride, and they are officially engaged. It is a big thing, and we were deep in the village, where the dust was so bad. Coffee trees, Cassava Root, Banana trees were all wilting because there is no rain. However when the rains come, it is so intense there are flash floods, and the rain doesn't soak the ground properly either, so times are hard here for the people.
Yesterday I met with a boy that a friend in Canada is sponsoring to send to school. So we met to discuss schools, and I am in a way taking guardianship over him as I am the one chanelling the funds to go to school directly so he can attend. It was a good meeting, I am happy for him that through this friend in Canada, he can go to school again, as now he is behind, being 20 yrs old, and having missed some years of school because of family financial challenges. It's great that he can now finish the last 2 years of school, at a trades school, hopefully get a good job and continue on.
I am so happy to be back...joy unspeakable!! Jetlag is finally over, well for the most part and I am happy to sleep through the nights now, instead of being up every hour through the night telling myself, 'it's time to sleep'! However, I am still tired alot, but I am getting used to it all, and soon enough all will be good!
Thankyou for your continued love, prayers, emails and various ways of support, it truly is such a blessing, I really appreciate it! I am currently at 76% monthly, and very thankful for that! I know and trust that God will continue to bring it in, as He has been doing.
Psa 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Uganda's Latest
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment