Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jamaican Bunnies

As I left Quality Supermarket with my Sudanese friend Kim; we passed 3 friendly young boys holding a wee little white bunny rabbit. They greeted us, asking if we wanted a bunny rabbit for 10,000 shillings. We stopped, and I looked surprised, thinking, 'where on earth had a bunny come from?' I hadn't seen a bunny in Uganda since last year when serving with MAF and one of our Engineers daughters had 2 pet bunnies.
Laughing at the boys, I asked where they had gotten the bunny from; the one looked at me, puzzled at why I had asked. After some hesitation he replied with a giggle, "they are from Jamaica!", the other 2 boys, Kim and I burst out laughing! Since when do wee little bunnies come from Jamaica to Uganda! I than asked him, as Jamaican music is very popular here in Uganda, where Jamaica was. Again he was puzzled...the boys all laughed and the one replied, it's near Canada! Eh, we laughed again, myself being so blessed by the little boys, so friendly and for once not greeting me with the usual "Yes Muzungu, how are you?", they were simply friendly young boys, trying to sell a bunny and some banana 'pancakes' (a mixture of flour, sweet banana's, sugar, some salt and fried in oil in little round cake like shapes. They weigh a 'ton' and sit like concrete in your stomach!)
Kim and I left the boys; completely amused by their attempted bunny sale! I stopped mid step saying to Kim, I need to get pictures of these kids if they'll let me! We went back to the boys, and after asking if I could get their photo's and them readily agreeing (Ugandan children love being in photo's!), I saw another bunny appear! I'm not sure where it was when we first chatted with the boys, but sure enough, there wasn't just one lone bunny, they were two!
After a quick photo shoot, dusk rapidly approaching, Kim and I continued on our way, groceries once again in hand, recapping the conversations with the boys...how precious!! They had made my day even better; they were so stinkin' cute, their precious smiles showing bright white teeth and hearts of gold; i just wanted to hug them!!
(pictures to follow...the internet won't allow me to upload photos right now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment