This week has been busy, having changed our church office hours to later in the day for now. Over the past three weeks we have had walk to work protests, with the opposition upset with the mass inflation, doubling the costs of food, fuel and transportation in 2 months. With the walk to work campaigning, the police and military have become involved, and we’ve been through a few challenging situations.
With our Church office on the 4th floor of a building in the center of the city, easily accessible but also easily blocked in incase anything happens! Having been locked in church 2 weeks in a row with the demonstrating/rioting, we discussed being proactive and trying to avoid more situations like the past!
This week I had moved my work to home, working from my laptop, with an internet stick, and the church phone with me. It’s been interesting, making me feel like a news reporter, or something! Each morning I call around to the staff to see what the situations are like in their areas, and thankfully all has been calm so we than plan to meet at church by noon to continue our day.
Today was filled with meetings; this morning after getting to church, I ran down to the bank for a meeting, leaving the bank I had just enough time to get back up to church for a AGM planning meeting, and as that meeting went late, I was late for a meeting with an individual I was working with to setup a bulk SMS plan for church. After getting that all setup, I was chosen to represent the church at a local Babies home celebrating their first anniversary. Having one of our security guys from church push me at the Boda stage below church, I was off to Malaika Babies home.
It was special to visit the babies home, a home that over the course of a year 4 Ugandan friends/ couples have adopted children from. Seeing the success of the babies home is really special as there are so many unwanted children. Mothers leave their unwanted children in pit latrine’s, taxis, abandoned at the police station and in bushes along the street. Malaika currently is at its capacity of 25 children, and thankfully all are healthy, loved and being well cared for. There are many other babies homes that are over filled, the children aren’t cared for well enough as the resources are limited, expensive and there aren’t enough care takers.
After leaving Malaika, heading to the taxi on a boda once again, it was nice to reflect on the day, the busy-ness of it, going from meeting to meeting, yet seeing God’s plan in each meeting and the great work He is doing here in our country!
Please continue to keep our country in your prayers. President Museveni’s swearing in ceremony beginning his 26th year of presidency is to take place next week Thursday at Kololo Airstrip, giving us a National holiday in commemoration of my birthday (just kidding! They just fall on the same day!)
Goodnight...morning comes too fast!
No comments:
Post a Comment