Saturday, June 29, 2013

Diapery Business

Well, we've done it. A week of cloth diapers and cloth wipes for Gabriel. What a mark, huh? Two months ago I when we arrived we were working off our 'stash' of disposable diapers- aka just plain diapers for Gabriel, but our plan was eventually to switch over to cloth, once those ran out. We've done a few days here and a few days there and we still have some disposables left, and than last week I thought we'd try a week and it's been just over a week and all went well. Now, I'm going to stick with it and just continue, the disposables will be for when we go away and for nighttime. Yes, it's certainly a lot more work, but on the financial end of things its so much more cost efficient. We bought a pack a diapers a month or so back and when I priced them out, buying that same pack also, the brand of Pampers like in Canada, it was cheaper to buy that same package in Canada; that is how overpriced diapers are here. Ridiculous! When we tally up the cost of soap for soaking and washing and the water involved, it's over 80% cheaper to use cloth diapers. Of course there is a cost to buying the cloth diapers, but God blessed us with an aunt of ours giving us enough diapers where we didn't have to buy anything and so once again God was looking out for us!
Before coming back home to Uganda, I had cut up a few old receiving blankets, serged the edges and was prepared to use cloth wipes if disposables were also too costly. Wipes aren't as pricey as diapers, but after finding some nice 'recipes' of cloth diaper wipes solution online, I am liking that much better than the disposable! All in all its a win-win :)
And...its way cuter seeing a baby in a colored cloth diaper bum than a disposable, there's something about it! It's a diapery business, but God is good and we are ever thankful for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment