Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Uganda at it's best

Hello all,
So, this morning I arrived in Entebbe International Airport, and as the plane was coasting down the runway upon arrival, I knew in my heart that this is where God wanted me to be, and He had worked it all out perfectly! As we landed, our runway paralleled a road to the right of me; and my heart went out to those walking up the road with baskets of goods balanced on their heads, others biking with supplies strapped to the bicycle. Taxi motorbikes cruised on down the road, thin cows grazing on the roadside. Terraced gardens lining the hills and banana trees, more than one could count. Wow, I loved it immediately and was so excited to finally be here.
On my flight out of Vancouver, I was able to sleep about 6 of the 9 hours aboard the plane. From there, I had about a 7.5hour layover in London, where I roamed awhile, (sorry those I promised an email from London, the wireless wasn’t free, and I didn’t want to spend money for the minutes used.) stretched my legs, and my arm muscles as I was carrying my laptop bag, packed as full as I could get it as well as my duffle bag, one on each shoulder. Yes, I got my workout, it was about 50lb’s and i had to go from one end of the London Airport to another, catch a train to the next terminal and walk again. It all went well, and I was happy for the exercise and extra time as than I didn’t need to hurry.
After landing, I made my way through the airport, applying for my Visa, and heading to pickup my luggage. I felt kind of bad, as when boarding the plane for the flight to Entebbe, a lady behind me in the line to board had commented to her husband, how they let me through with the carry on material I had with me- well she wasn’t the only one who asked that, so had I! I knew I was overweight, but was not going to take out my Bible to let it pass, and thankfully, they didn’t weigh it, so yes, flew with overweight carryon luggage as well, including my pillow and blanket for on the plane that Mom had purchased for me before saying farewell.
Now, I’m ready to crawl beneath my mosquito net covered bed, and sink away into the depths of a deep sleep! Gerrit and Klazina let me sleep a part of the day and then woke me, even though I would have preferred to have kept sleeping. I was SO tired, I couldn’t believe it! So, I struggled through the rest of the afternoon, and snuck in an hour nap, and now its almost 8pm, and I’m done for for today.
But, I must tell you about my cute little abode, I love it and for those of you who had visited my home in Canada, it’s just as cute, only simpler, which is great! I have a bathroom, livingroom, bedroom and kitchen, and as I walked in there was a big Welcome banner on the door, several cards from MAF Uganda staff and their families, fresh fruit sitting on the counter( bananas, papya, watermelon, and a pineapple), baked items and some groceries to give me a start. It is so adorable, I love it and look forward to crawling into my bed again shortly!
So, that is today in a nutshell.
My flights here were great and all I see here is what I had expected, and even so many more pleasant surprises! I am so excited to see what God’s plans for me are here in Uganda this year!
Well, off to bed I go, goodnight all!

Saturday, Sept 26.09
This morning I woke up to the sound of banging on my front door, my alarm clock! Pam had come to get me, not realizing I had still been sleeping, and there was a call for me. No, I was not up to going to town at what seemed like 8am, but was already after 12pm! So, I thought about going back to bed, and then decided it best to just stay up and get the day going. I made a hearty breakfast of Rivita Crackers with Strawberry Jam and a fresh Banana with a mug of nice warm tea, a sentiment from Canada!
I than began unpacking, clothes, toiletries, shoes, books, baby clothing, a few pictures and some package mix meals for times when I’m needing a bit of Canada to my day! It was great, I loved setting up my new home and love it so much, I actually like the setup of this one so much better than mine back home, and it’s truly a home away from home!
Just as I finished putting the last pieces in place, hanging my clothes and deciding that it was ‘just right’, Pam came knocking again. By now, I’m sure you are wondering who Pam is; well, she is the wonderful lady whom I live in the compound with. Pam and her husband Stan are with MAF US and serving in Uganda for the MAF Congo program. They are a wonderful couple, and have made me feel very welcome here in Uganda already. I love it here, and there are so many things in this compound that make it a true home. Lovely flowers, exotic to me; line the compound walls, and 2 German Shepherds guarding within the walls. They have as much energy as Tessie from Mom and Dad back home, and Mom, I could spend all day throwing Savo’s kong here, yes, he has a ball that is similar to Tessie’s kong!
As I was showing Pam my newly setup home, Klazina came knocking on the gate having walked over with a phone for me. Yes, it was a really neat feeling being so unattached to the world! I had no alarm clock, hence loving the sleeping in, well sleeping off the Jetlag; no phone, no Internet and my only communication being with those whom i was directly with- it was great!
I ate dinner with Stan and Pam than relaxed to watch a movie, and had my first experience of common African living here in Uganda, the power going out, no worries, they all have a large stash of candles for that reason- hey mom, I need a miner’s light, they are perfect for here when the power goes out so often!!
Anyway, I’m needing some sleep once again, and hope to go with Gerrit and Klazina to Church in the morning. Goodnight, Lena

Wednesday September 30, 09
This morning, I woke up and shortly after recieved a phone call from 'home' as in Mom and Dad's that was great to touch base and chat with mom for a bit- Abe and Henk, it's good to know you haven't changed in a weeks time, that would be scary!! lol
After breakfast, I mopped my terrbily dusty floor, back in Canada, you wouldn't survive with carpets, but the tile floors, well, they turn red after a day, the dust is everywhere!
Now I am sitting in the MAF office and figured it's time to update my blog, yes ,the other dates I had typed when I had no internet access, but this is great, a nice way to keep in touch with you all back home!
For lunch today, I am meeting with my friend Monika, one of the Pilot's wives, for lunch at her house and than I hope to go over the curriculum for schooling.
Settling in so far has gone well. I'm loving the many different birds around, their singing is a beautiful wakeup call! Also, the banana trees everywhere, it's such an amazing reminder of the great God we serve, what a creation. Tropical fruit trees, flowering trees, tropical plants...
Yes, this is a beautiful country! I'm so thankful for the opportunity God has given me to serve Him here in this capacity!
Later this week, if i'm prepared to see it already, I hope to visit the slums with a Ugandan Friend of Klazina, where she has a ministry, that would sure be a wonderful way to reach out to this special people. As well, I hope to get in touch soon with the African Children's Choir directors (please keep them in your prayers they just had a large break and entry with many items stolen), hoping to just meet with them- fellow Canadians!
I am also very excited to join a Choir, i'll give you more details at a later time, but it's a choir from a Bible college here in Kampala!

anyway, thats all for now!
Love Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment